BASIC SKILLS ACHIEVEMENT
The following articles provide an overview of issues and topics related to
improving student achievement in basic skills as measured by standardized tests:
Student Achievement in Basic
- Covaleskie, J. (2002). Two
cheers for standardized
testing . International
Electronic Journal for Leadership in Learning, 6(2). Retrieved September
- Darling-Hammond, L. (2001) Teacher quality and
student achievement. Education Policy,8(1). Retrieved December
- Feuer, M., Holland, P., Bertenthal, M., Hemphill, C. F., Green, B. (Eds.).
(1998). Coming to terms:
Assumptions, definitions, and goals of linkage (7-12). Equivalency and linkage of
educational tests: Interim report. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
Retrieved December 1999, from
- Haynes, R., & Chalker, D. (1997, May). World-class schools: What does it mean
to be "world class"? And how close are U.S. schools to getting there? American
School Board Journal. Retrieved July 1999, from
- Huitt, W., Huitt, M., Monetti, D., & Hummel, J. (2009). A systems-based
synthesis of research related to improving students' academic performance.
Paper presented at the 3rd International City Break Conference sponsored by
the Athens Institute for Education and Research (AITNER), Athens, Greece,
October 16-19. Available online at
- Jones, L. (2000). National
tests and education reform: Are they compatible? William H. Angoff Memorial
Lecture Series. Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service. Retrieved July
- Jurich, S., & Estes, S. (2000). Raising academic achievement: A study of 20
successful programs. Washington, DC: American Youth Policy Forum.
Retrieved March 2000, from
- Laczko-Kerr, I., & Berliner, D. (2002). The effectiveness of Teach for America and other
under-certified teachers on student
academic achievement: A case of harmful public policy. Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 10
(37). Retrieved December 2002, from
- McCaslin, M., Burross, H. L., & Good, T. L. (2005). Change and continuity in student
achievement from grades 3 to 5: A policy dilemma. Education Policy
Analysis Archives, 13(1). Retrieved January 2005, from
- Mehrens, W. (1999). Consequences of
assessment: What is the evidence? Education Policy Analysis Archives, 6(13).
Retrieved December 1999, from
- National Center for Educational Statistics. (2002). Science and
engineering indicators--2002. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of
Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement. Retrieved October
- National Center for Educational Statistics. (2007). Mapping 2005 state proficiency standards
onto the NAEP scales. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education.
Retrieved July 2007, from
- Neill, M., Guisbond, L., & Schaeffer, B. with J. Madden & L. Legeros.
(2004). Failing our children: How "No Child Left Behind" undermines
quality and equity in education. Cambridge, MA: Fairtest: The National
Center for Fair & Open Testing. Retrieved July 2004, from
- O'Donald, S., & Micklethwaite, C. (2000). Thematic probe: Science for
the 21st century. International Review of Curriculum and Assessment
Frameworks. Retrieved May 2003, from
- Olson, L. (2001, January 10). Test debate: What counts as multiple? Education Week.
Retrieved March 2002, from
- Poisson, M . (2000). Final report of the International Workshop on the
Reform in the Teaching of Science and Technology at Primary and Secondary
Level in Asia: Comparative References to Europe, Beijing, 2000. Geneva,
International Bureau of Education. Retrieved May 2003, from
- Reeves, D. (2000). The 90/90/90 schools: A case study (Chapter 19).
Accountability in Action: A blueprint for learning organizations. Denver:
Advanced Learning Press. Retrieved April 2003, from
- Stake, R. (1999). Some comments on
assessment in U.S. education. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 6(14).
Retrieved May 2000, from
- Tienken, C., & Wilson, M. (2001). Using state standards and tests to
improve instruction. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 7(13).
Retrieved December 2001, from
- Wenglinsky, H. (2002). How schools matter: The link
between teacher classroom practices and student academic
performance. Education Policy
Analysis Archives, 10(12). Retrieved December 2002, from
| Internet Resources | Electronic Files |